I don’t know about you all, but I am continually searching for new ideas/ways to stay productive throughout the day. I am the type of person that likes to stay focused, but also gets stressed out and distracted easily. Over the past few months I have really tried to make a conscious effort of working on this and making it a personal goal to better myself and my productivity level. With that being said, I thought I would share what changes I have made that help improve my day overall. As always, I would love to hear any feedback you may have on this topic, especially things that have worked for you!
1. Get up and get dressed. It sounds simple, but in reality can be a challenge, especially for anyone that works from home. For the longest time, I fully took advantage of working in loungewear or my pajamas, but the truth is I never really felt like my day started. I think it is important to not only get dressed, but to toss a splash of makeup on, brush out my hair, etc. to feel like I can conquer the day and tasks ahead. Yes, I could easily stay in my pj’s until the afternoon rolls around (and obviously do from time to time), but when I have a list of things I want to get accomplished, getting up and ready for the day is the best motivation around! If looking for a few cozy, yet trendy pieces to easily toss on, I have listed out some favorites (such as this sweater) below.
2. Use a diffuser. This is something that I started to incorporate into my everyday routine a few months back. At first I was a bit skeptical if it really was going to work or what my overall thought would be on essential oils and using them in different ways throughout the day, but I have been pleasantly surprised with the results. I made a board on Pinterest with a bunch of different diffuser (and roller) recipes and alternate the oils throughout the day. My two favorite things are going to bed diffusing lavender and waking up and diffusing peppermint and lemon to get energized for the day! I started off with one diffuser and slowly have added a few more to different rooms in my home. For those curious, I have been using Young Living essential oils.
3. Make a list. This is one of the first things I do after I get up in the morning and have found it to be extremely beneficial, especially since I get easily distracted. I start the day with my notebook and on one page I write everything I need/hope to accomplish from the day. I put anything form a small task all the way up to huge projects so I can visually see what I am working with. I then go to the next page and try and organize my day by time to keep me on track or else I would be refreshing my inbox every five seconds and lost in the world of e-mails. I also get extreme satisfaction from crossing off things when they are complete, which these lists allow me to do. It is also fun looking for cute notebooks and pens to stay organized with!
6:15 – 7:00 Wake up, get ready for the day
7:00 – 8:30 Schedule post, check e-mails
8:30 – 9:30 Shoot content
9:30 – 11:30 Edit photos and write post
4. Take a break/”me” time. I try and make a point throughout the day to set my alarm as a reminder to take a break and get out from behind the computer or whatever I may be doing. I am lucky because having Hadley also makes me get out and about to take her on walks and to the park, which is great. The one thing I try and do each day is book a Pure Barre class to attend. It is a great way to clear my head, do something healthy for myself and that I enjoy. A fitness class may not be for everyone, but find something you love that allows your mind to rest and focus on you and what makes you happy!
5. Listen to music. Last but not least, I think this one has been such a help! Where there are times I need to focus and not have any distractions (mainly while writing out my blog posts), music during other parts of the day has been amazing. Not only does it help with creativity, it helps fill my apartment with liveliness during the day when it is just Hadley and myself. I have always been a music gal and love to dance, but ever since I have been playing music continually throughout the day I have been in a much better mood and less stressed out. We try and keep a speaker in each room and I have been loving this wireless speaker for my office!