Since we are officially onto March (woohoo!), I consider it to be full on spring, even if it is still around the 30 degrees here in New York City. The faux fur pillows and heavy textured throws are stored away until next season! While warmer weather is on my mind, I wanted to share a few simple spring updates for your wardrobe and home. We often forget that inexpensive solutions can make the world of a difference when transitioning season to season.
1. Change up your pillows and throws – I mentioned this in the beginning, but this is such a simple and affordable way to give your home an entirely new look and feel each season. During the colder months I love a cozier look and feel and gravitate more towards faux fur pillows and throws. During the warmer months I stick with clean neutrals, linens and lighter weight blankets. This theory applies all over your home , from your bedroom, to the living room and even your kids rooms!
2. Say goodbye to the balsam fir, wintery scented candles (don’t toss if not used up, just store away until next fall/winter) and start using your cleaner linen/floral scents! Coastal Linen will always be my number one choice, it leaves the home smelling so fresh and clean. Target sells my favorite soy brand, which is inexpensive and each scent typically comes in three sizes. This is also a great time to pick up candles for next year from the previous season that will likely be on sale. Also, if you use a diffuser (I keep a few throughout our apartment – this one is my favorite), start looking on Pinterest for springtime blends. I love finding new combinations to try out.
3. Switch up your wardrobe – Start by putting away all the chunky, heavier and darker colored sweaters that scream “winter” right off the bat. Pull all the lighter (color + weight) options to the front. Start thinking about mixing up neutrals with a few pastels into your daily outfit planning. Sole Society has a bunch of super cute and affordable shoes and accessories to help lighten up your spring look as well. I recently got these grey mules and crossbody bag that I know I will be wearing non stop over the new few months!
4. Swap out your greenery – This past week I finally put away the last of our winter greenery I left out on display and brought back out the succulents, eucalyptus and other greens that are more seasonally appropriate. The Hearth & Hand line has some of my favorite faux greenery If you find a combination you like, but the stems are two different sizes, don’t be afraid to secure them together with a clear elastic hair tie and adjust them in the vase how you envision!
5. Change the prints around your house – This is one of my favorite things to do, maybe because we use all photos either Matt or I have taken from our travels in our frames and it brings back so many memories and talking points. I love interchanging what is hung up to be specific for that time of year. Example: Snowy photos from Iceland and Christmas in Quebec get hung during the winter, warm beaches from Positano and Capri for the summer months, etc. Also, I keep all the prints within the frame (they will all fit) and just bring forward the one we will currently use. This way you will always know where everything is when it is time to switch things out. I get our prints printed online via Adorama and our frames above our bed are from Target and size 11×14.