I decided to keep going strong on the healthy desert and snack options using black beans and chickpeas. Over the weekend, I made this brownie batter hummus as my sweet tooth was in full force. It was so good, I had to share it with you all! Quick and easy to whip up, pairs well with so many items you likely have on hand (graham crackers, strawberries, apples, pretzels, etc) and is a great healthy alternative for a special Valentine’s Day treat! I also found these edible hearts on Amazon if interested, I just didn’t read the sizing and the container is small (but a ton fit in)…just fyi! One other thing, this recipe is SUPER easy to make, so if looking to get your kids (or any kids) involved and hands on in the kitchen this is a great option!
If you missed my previous posts, all my recipes can be found under the “Categories” tab on the top of my site and listed in “Health + Fitness“. There you will recently find chickpea chocolate chip cookies, black bean brownies and skinny banana chocolate chip muffins. I try and keep everything quick and easy because who has time these days for hours in the kitchen?!…not me!
- 15oz can of chickpeas (drained + rinsed)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter (or any nut butter)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup water (add little bits at a time)
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract (OPTIONAL – I like to spilt the hummus in half at the end and mix half with the peppermint to have a chocolate mint flavor)
- Place all ingredients in a food processor EXCEPT the water and chocolate chips and pulse until smooth
- Add the water slowly until the hummus is a smooth and creamy consistency
- Add chocolate chips and mix in by hand (you can also pulse a few times in the food processor if you want them more chopped up throughout the hummus)
- Store in the refrigerator – I think tastes better when cold, so make ahead of time if serving that day!
ITEMS I USED (OR SIMILAR)